[blindkid] Pre-Braille/Braille Teaching

empwrn at bellsouth.net empwrn at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 16 23:14:00 UTC 2009

I am rapidly realizing that pre-braille is not exactly the same as pre-literacy. I got our labeler today and will begin labeling lots and lots of stuff as fast as I can. We also got the flash cards that I ordered. Light bulb moment-a "brailled a" presented in isolation on a card that has a textured "a" on it is not really going to get us anywhere, is it? Jack needs to learn to feel the letters correct?
I don't think our school is going to get it's bootie in gear anytime soon so I want to begin braille/pre-braille instruction at home. I rather naively thought I might just introduce the braille letters along with the print letter of the week. I'm beginning to see some flaws in that plan. I have seen a web page of another family where the little girl learned braille and print simultaneously. They used the Mangold system. Carol Castellano's book mentions several different programs. Can some other people with been there, done that experience comment on the programs you like and why or if you strongly dislike a program, please mention that as well? I'd especially like to hear from those who have taught pre-schoolers who were not yet reading or just beginning to get their print letters.

Marie-more about Jack- www.allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com
www.apert.org
www.thecraniofacialcenter.org
Sent from my Palm Treo