[blindkid] feeding questions

empwrn at bellsouth.net empwrn at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 16 23:23:00 UTC 2009

#1 Scooping food is a skill needed for school. Children need to independently feed themselves (if able) so they can get nourishment at school. It is a developmental standard for preschool where we live in Alabama (Shelby county). It's on Jack's IEP.
#2 Jack did exactly what you are describing. Continue to encourage your son to feed himself. I would advise you to not let this be a power struggle. Slowly slowly slowly provide less assistance. You are doing hand over hand now and letting go after the scoop? Next try to just hold his wrist to direct him while he holds the spoon. Next move up his forearm, next his elbow, one day you won't be touching him, he'll scoop and you'll be amazed how good it will feel. Just remember it won't be a straight line. Sometimes he'll need more help. Other times less. I hope I've helped.

Marie-more about Jack- www.allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com
www.apert.org
www.thecraniofacialcenter.org
Sent from my Palm Treo