[blindkid] depth perception & Re: Pressure on school district

Carly e400clb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 00:42:56 UTC 2009

Holly, it's been *great* following your story and I appreciate the documentation you are including, both your communications and theirs. Thanks, also, to those who have responded to Holly's questions. I am just soaking it up because we are in our own struggle with the school and hammering out an acceptable IEP. While not all of the specifics are the same as Holly's, there are enough similarities to give me much to go on. So THANKS AGAIN, everyone! :)

Question for you: I just had our 6 yo son (adopted at age 5) evaluated this morning for OT service. This evaluation was done independent of the school. The therapist noted that Brian has depth perception problems. We have known this since day 1. He has been "toeing" since we got him. The OT mentioned that because the brain can only process one image at a time, that when the eyes don't work together that it makes the printed letters appear to jump around on the page. I had never thought of that before! I'm wondering if there is any documentation about depth perception causing print reading difficulties. I couldn't find anything in a Google search but thought someone here might know of something.

Thanks for any info you can provide me!

--Carolynn