[blindkid] Putting pressure on the school district

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:31:46 UTC 2009

Me again!
Due process is getting closer and closer.  My head hurts.  I had a very
upsetting conversation with the district caseworker and sp-ed director on
Wednesday, they went from in Feb understanding why Hank needs braille to
thinking I'm a nutjob mom who should be happy he's getting some braille when
before he wasn't getting any (45 min once a week).

A couple of questions.

If I understand correctly, if I send a written request for Independant
Evaluations, I have to be sure to request *all* the different evaluations we
might need in one request because I only get one request.  Yes?  So, I want
to make sure when I request it, I request the right ones.  Here's what I
think I need, if I should ask for something else or I don't have the proper
name, please let me know!!

I know I need a Learning Media Asessment (the one done by the TVI is flawed
& incomplete IMHO.  She didn't even meausure his print reading
speed/accuracy)

I also want an Orientation & Mobility evaluation.  Supposedly one was done
by the commission and he does not "qualify" for cane training.  I have not
seen the evaluation.  I was able briefly speak to the O&M person, she did
the eval at school.  Small building that he has been attending for 2 1/2
years.  I don't think she even took him outside and certainly didn't take
him off the property.

I'm thinking a Functional Vision Assessment as well?

What else?

I'm still open for recomendations of people who do these assessments.  I
know before I was just looking in NJ but I"m more than willing to go to
Philly or NYC general areas as well to get someone good.  I know the PA
College of Optometry does evals like this but it's where the NJ CoB
contracts with for various evals, Hank has had eye exams there already.

Holly