[blindkid] requirements, O&M?

Jessica Brown black22 at localnet.com
Tue Mar 24 00:40:26 UTC 2009

Hi, Everyone,

I'm a new comer and have been enjoying and saving alot of your information. I will be giving my daughter whom is a little over 2 and totally blind a spoon to play with. She tends to balk at the idea of using a spoon as most 2 year olds would.

I do have two questions; What should the school have ready for my daughter when she gets there for pre-k? They finally gave the aid that will be preparing her lessons the okay to start taking Braille courses through Hadley. Other then a Braille writter should she have anything else? Also, what should the O&M teacher be doing? He wanted to wait to teach cane travel until Kindergarden! I told him she would have one this year whether he wanted to use it or not (thanks to the Future Reflections mag). She gets around great by herself but I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

Jessica