[blindkid] IEP Question

Andrea Beasley abeasley at jb11.net
Sun Mar 29 16:46:14 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,
I have a four year old who will be entering kindergarten next year and we have his IEP in a couple of weeks. It is not his first but we are starting to get into "real" school, where reading and writing will become important. He has been exposed to the basic aphabet for about two years. This second semester I got very proactive and taught him the alphabe and he is now sounding out words. He is really soakng it up. He tells me he wants to be a good reader and he knows that Braille will be his main source of reading.
I am begining to write my goals for the IEP team but the place where I am lacking is technology. I don't know when to introduce a product like a Braille note and when to have him learn to use the computer with speech. He is already going to the lab and playing with the computer and doing very visual animated games but he will for the most part use speech.
I would love to hear some of ya'lls thoughts on this.
Thank you very much for your help.
Andrea