[blindkid] FW: USABA Athlete, Rachel Scdoris, Completes the "Toughest Race on Earth"

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:44:57 UTC 2009

FYI:

  _____

From: United States Association of Blind Athletes [mailto:etap at usaba.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:04 PM
To: Carrie Gilmer
Subject: USABA Athlete, Rachel Scdoris, Completes the "Toughest Race on
Earth"

 USABA Breaking News Banner
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent/UnitedStatesAssociationofB/USABA_Bre
aking%20News%20Banner.jpg>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 24, 2009

Contact: Amanda Fassett, media at usaba.org, 719.630.0422

USABA Athlete, Rachael Scdoris, Completes the "Toughest Race on Earth"

Rachael Scdoris conquered the Iditarod, coined the "Toughest Race on Earth"
for the second time last night in Nome, Alaska.  The 24-year-old
professional sled dog racer of Bend, Ore. crossed the burled arch in Nome to
finish the famous race in 45th position in 14 days, 10 hrs, 8 minutes and 50
seconds.

"My dream was always to compete in the Iditarod.  As a young girl, I made
the decision not to allow my visual impairment to stand in the way of my
dream, and I have been racing sled dogs since I was 11 years old. I have
experienced some unbelievable challenges and opportunities during my career
and am grateful for both the highs and lows. I hope my story can help
encourage others to pursue their dreams."

The Iditarod is unlike any other event in the world.  From Anchorage, in
south central Alaska, to Nome on the western Bering Sea coast, each team of
12 to 16 dogs and their musher cover over 1150 miles in 10 to 17 days in
temperatures far below zero.

Rachael believes the arctic storm that divided the field on the Yukon river
may have cost her up to four days of time, against their planned race
schedule.  She considers this race to have been "a huge confidence builder"
for what she feels capable of when the weather is "less scary".

To follow Rachael's dog sledding adventures, visit her website and blog at
<http://www.rachaelmushing.com/> www.RachaelMushing.com .