[blindkid] [Nfbf-l] ERIC MARTEN EARNS LIFE SCOUT / NOW WORKING TOWARD EAGLE SCOUT

Lenora J. Marten bluegolfshoes at aol.com
Wed May 13 23:50:18 UTC 2009

Sherrill, you are so right. The boys in his troop and the Scout Masters are just incredible. Eric has
gone through a lot more than most to achieve his rank. The first troop he was in was a complete
opposite of this one. They did as little as possible to get by, canceling activities and camp outs
at the last minute almost every time. Plus, they treated him like he was blind. Eric was?in
that first troop when he got his first black belt. He was so excited. Eric, of course, told his scout
master about it and he didn't even reply. He just looked at me and said "He can't have a black
belt. He's blind!".
After that, we went to the North Florida Scouting Council to seek out the type of troop we wanted
for him. They knew just where to send us and Troop 333 has surpassed our expectations. They
don't see Eric as being blind. They don't use the alternative book. He has hiked, gone white
water river rafting, fished, cooked, worked with woodworking tools, and even learned how to use
the boy scout knife. That one made us both nervous, but Scout Master Lewis sent us on our way
assuring us that he knew just what to do. He'd looked it up, consulted people, and Eric would
be just fine. And he was.
This was the troop that stepped up to the plate to help us out at state convention in Jacksonville
last year. They were there the entire weekend, only going home to sleep and come back the
next morning. They helped with directing people, breakfast buffet and happy hour. They hung out
in the kids and teen rooms playing games.
After it was all said and done, the boys felt that they got more out of it than we did. The gained an
even greater understanding of the blind community.
Scouting and community involvement would be an awesome topic for students and parents! It's
something we should encourage our students to participate?in.

Lenora Marten