[blindkid] Conformer question?

dhammelia at aol.com dhammelia at aol.com
Thu May 14 23:54:37 UTC 2009

 Our twins are almost 7 and are still using the conformers.

We adopted them when they were 3 so had some lost time in getting their eye sockets up to size.

They are ready for painted shells at any time but they have other problems mainly autistic spectrum that makes it difficult for them to stay put long enough for the fitting.

The last 2 fittings we did in coordination with eye exams under anesthesia and when they had ear tubes inserted.

Just an added caution that a few people have touched on.

Insurance (specifically Blue Cross) is objecting to paying what it costs for a good occularist.

So many of the occularists are no longer Blue Cross providers.

The insurance thinks that what are called stock eyes are sufficient.

There can be fit problems etc.

So if you can afford it or can fight with your insurance it is worth it to deal with a licensed occularist.

David Hammel