[blindkid] conformer question

EMMOL at aol.com EMMOL at aol.com
Sat May 16 10:45:39 UTC 2009

Hello,
We too are a family on a first name basis with the ocularist! My son just
turned 16 and first visited the ocualrist before he was a month old.This was
one  of the recommendations made by his ophthalmologist when diagnosed
shortly after  birth. Those early years were quite intense, for many reasons,
but ocular  prosthetics was one of them. It was one of the best decisions we
ever made, though! The clear conformers were a challenge. They had tiny
stems on  them to put them in and take them out, but they were very interesting
to a  curious baby. He often tried to play with them. We made great efforts
to make  sure that he had a toy in his hand to explore, rather than his
eyes. This also  cut down on any eye poking. But there were those times when he
would get them  spun around and none of us were happy when that happened. We
became experts  at dealing with these small challenges in the middle of
less than convenient  times.(I always have a little container with a suction
cup in my purse.)  And yes, due to the rapid growth of babies we were often
making trips to the  office for the next size. This happened with the
prosthetic eyes as well.  We needed to go back for build ups as he was growing. But
that is what we all  wanted. A good thing, but certainly not something we
could check in with  friends or neighbors about. Few people had a clue what we
were dealing  with. The clear conformers do allow for proper growth of the
face and help  to form the needed space for the eyes. All necessary steps in
growth and  development, for children with this eye condition. Yes, in the
early years the  insurance company questioned us, as "it was all new to
them." I assured  them it was all new to me, too, and was emphatic that it was
not cosmetic! We  haven't had difficulty with Blue Cross since those early
years. We shall see  what comes now. During those early rapid growth periods
we were frequent  visitors to the ocularist, but now we generally go once a
year. We  fortunately never had to have eye surgery nor have we had to use
anesthesia. All  procedures were in the office. As a tiny baby he was in his
car seat. Next we  sat in the chair & we held him, which was a bit of a
challenge with a  squirmy little one, but eventually he "got it" and would just
be still while we  held him and later just sit in the chair with us next to
him. All these years  later we are still visiting the same office and he is
quite independent, but  still discussing sports and current events with these
caring  professionals. A trusted ocularist is most valuable! We fortunately
had a  great recommendation and have dealt with the same family of
ocularists in the  Philadelphia area over the years. It has been well worth all of
our  efforts!
Eileen