[blindkid] Advice needed about school incident

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Thu Nov 5 14:56:00 UTC 2009

I have been listening to this dialogue about Kendra's lunch room experience.
 As and educator stuff like this happens a lot. But as you said something
seems wrong about it being done when the person it is being done to cannot
appreciate the "fun" in it or the mischievousness of it all. i think you are
correct when you say that if all things were as they typically   were,
teachers not being absent and all, this never would have come up in
discussion. First, again let me compliment you on your level headed and
heart felt thoughts, I look forward to learning from you everytime I open an
email from you.  Kendra is a very lucky young lady. I am inclined to suggest
you ask the teacher to turn this into a teachable moment.  Have her or him,
tell a story, a few stories for that matter, about people  being mischievous
and only having "fun". In this way more children will benefit from the
experience and perhaps Kendra will gain more from a dialogue amongst her
peers as they together define what is or is not appropriate behaviour. I am
feeling a wonderful story line for a childrens book coming on.  let me know
what you think. You seem to be the type of parents who let Kendra learn from
her own experiences and this time many others could learn from her as well.
One thing I have learned since loosing my eye sight is that it is up to us,
the members of the blind community, included are those affected as well, to
educate and inform all people on blindness so that we can perhaps
collectively dispel antiquated  myths and misperceptions about vision loss.

Albert J. Rizzi
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.