[blindkid] Advice needed about school incident

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Nov 6 03:35:08 UTC 2009

That's interesting. I wish I knew of a collection of similar stories
in one place. I think it would be very useful to many sighted people
to gain some perspective on this sort of thing for general
understanding and especially for questions that may come up from our
blind children. (I also just find these things interesting.)

Kendra is forever asking what various sounds are, or noticing sounds
that are similar and yet often totally otherwise unrelated. She heard
an exhaust fan, like a bathroom fan earlier tonight. The bearings were
apparently failing in the fan and as it squealed and then went silent
again over and again, she told me it sounded like a fax machine
connecting. I paused and listened. She was right-- it was very
similar, but I would not have likely noticed that without pausing to
pay attention after her comment...

Richard