[blindkid] Advice needed about incident in school

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:33:22 UTC 2009

Melissa, if I had been in your class, I would have told the principal right
then and there.  You do have to tell everything about what you know about
an incident, no matter what.  As for Stephanie, because the kids are
prejudiced, they are playing a game of "Can you guess who this is?"  Often,
I had the famous "How many fingers am I holding up?" game, but it got
maddening, after a while.  The lesson is, essentially: a child must report
the stealing of food to a trusted adult "now!" not "after it happens!".  By
midigating the "now!" aspect, the child sees that, in her mind, "someone is
ganging up on me!"  Second, after the adult is notified, the principal
should be notified, and the offender's parents should be notified.

Remember!: People who are sighted are not always prejudiced.  But, if
kids are told that this behavior is unacceptable, and, furthermore, is
demeaning and inappropriate, then future consequences of the same behavior
will result in suspension, (in-house or expulsion), and/or "standards" or
sentences written about the incident, whichever comes first.

Eric
..

..

..

..

Giving thanks is all the time.

..

November 26 is Thanksgiving Day in the United States.  Happy Thanksgiving
from Eric in Los Angeles!