[blindkid] IEP vs 504

Stacy Lemmon slemmonrn at spotlight-music.com
Fri Nov 6 21:20:42 UTC 2009

My understanding is a 504 will cover the medical components of things like for children that have diabetes, etc.  It should absolutely encompass necessary care for a child w/ albinism. In many schools a nurse is not present there everyday....who takes care of these needs then? When in doubt, have it put in the IEP.  It is a legal document.  You have no way "to hold their feet to the fire" if it is not written in there.  We even have "an appropriate sized desk and chair."  You can even address bathroom needs. Does this child have a PCA (aide)? It can be written in the IEP that the PCA can even 'verbally prompt the child to apply sunscreen, with hand over hand assistance as needed, and don/doff hat whenever the child goes outside of the school building....field trips, recess, gym class."