[blindkid] Update on advice about a school incident

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Nov 7 13:38:34 UTC 2009

Right on, Carrie! Your message below is bang on-target!

Let me tell you about an incident that occurred when I was in either
ninth or tenth grade, attending a public high school. Two other fellows
and I were eating lunch in what was called the "cafatorium" -- it served
both as an auditorium (folding chairs) and the lunchroom. All three of
us had brought our lunches. WE had several lines -- a hot lunch line, a
sandwich line and a snack line. You could tell how good the hot lunch
was by how long the sandwich line was.

All three of us had brought our lunches but one of the two guys saw
something in the snack line that looked delectable so he decided to go
up and buy it to supplement his lunch. While he was in the snack line,
the other guy (not I) noticed that the fellow had brought a slice of
birthday cake in his lunch (the day before had been his birthday)and
quickly yanked the slice of cake out of the other fellow's lunch sack
(it was chocolate -- a crucial detail) and placed it on the chair of the
guy in the snack line. When the victim-to-be returned, he didn't look
and immediately sat down! Obviously, this resulted in cake all over his
posterior and, of course, suggested to the casual observer that
something else entirely -- something acutely embarrassing -- had
happened to him. The victim knew right away what had happaned and we
darn near had a fist fight right there in the cafatorium. In any event,
he had to go home and change pants! The perpetrator of the joke and I
thought it inordinately funny. I suppose I shouldn't admit this but I'm
chuckling right now, forty-seven years later!

The kicker? Both of the gentelemen were sighted; insofar as I am aware,
neither even used glasses!

I write this to echo Carrie's observation that some of this goes on even
among the sighted and that sight is no proof against horse-play. I
suspect the little boys got as much of a charge out of putting one over
on Kendra as anything else; blindness was (in their view) just an easy
way to accomplish the deed. I'm sixty-one; in my day, had such a thing
happened, a couple of round-house rights would have permanetly solved
the problem. That is no longer the way of things (at least officially)
so the way it worked out was excellent.

Kids in my high school loved my mothers' brownies (I willingly shared)
so my mother would deliberately put extras in my lunch so that I wasn't
shorted.

Of course how Kendra reacts is as individual as she is. But I'd bet that
a quarter-century from now, while she might relate the incident with a
flash of pique, I'd also bet that their might also be a bit of wry
amusement in the telling. WE shouldn't make light of the casual meanness
often practiced by others. Nevertheless, sometimes the only thing to do
is laugh. And laughter, while it won't solve problems, certainly eases
the pain and discomfort of them.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington