[blindkid] Graphing parabolas

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:20:53 UTC 2009

Here's the information from the TSBVI website.  I thought the idea of using
the cork or rubber mat under the graph paper, plotting the points and
connecting them w/ rubber bands or springs has potential.

The author of the math section of the TSBVI website is Susan Osterhaus.  She
has spoken at the NFB national convention and now she is traveling around
talking about teaching math to blind kids.

Here's the link and the verbage from their website:
http://www.tsbvi.edu/math/tactile.htm#Student-Generated Math Graphs

Sally Thomas

Student-Generated Math Graphs
Raised line graph paper is available from APH (American Printing House for
the Blind, Inc., 1839 Frankfort Avenue, P.O. Box 6085, Louisville, Kentucky
40206-0085. Phone: 1-800-223-1839). If you had my packet, you could look at
the APH Graph Sheets flyer. They have various sizes ranging in price at $10
per package of 50. You can get sheets measuring 8 1/2 x 11 inches or 11 1/2
x 11 inches. The squares range from 1/2 inch squares to 1-inch squares.
Coordinate axes are represented as solid lines. The grid pattern consists of
horizontal and vertical lines of small braille dots. I use their graph
boards, so they may be better at advising you as to what will best suit your
needs. Their graph boards (Graphic Aid for Mathematics) cost $110, so making
your own board should be quite cost effective.

The Graphic Aid For Mathematics is excellent for graphing algebraic
equations, but can be used in geometry, trig, etc. It consists of a cork
composition board mounted with a rubber mat which has been embossed with a
grid of 1/2 inch squares. My students use two rubber bands held down by
thumbtacks for the x- and y- axes. Then points are plotted with push pins at
the appropriate coordinates. Points are connected with rubber bands (for
lines) or flat spring wires (for circles, ellipses, and arcs). Sighted math
teachers can even interpret the student-made graphs correctly. You can also
make your own rubber graph board by affixing a piece of raised line graph
paper (also from APH) to a cork board and proceeding as outlined above.

Students may also wish to use a drawing board with rubber mat or old Sewell
Raised Drawing Kit Board, Braille Compass from Howe Press, straight edge,
plastic triangles, tracing wheel from the homemaking department, and a
braille/print protractor* available from APH. Students can do all their own
geometry constructions using these tools. Again, sighted math teachers can
interpret these correctly.

*The Braille/Print Protractor is finally a reality. We decided this was a
nicer name than "Adapted Goniometer." It comes complete with a teacher's
guide written by me - furnished in both print and braille. The price is only
$7.50 - quite a bargain for this little gem!