[blindkid] Toys for Christmas

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Sat Nov 28 15:22:37 UTC 2009

Hi All,
     I have been helping Santa and at the suggestion of my friend, looked at
options for teaching a blind toddler the alphabet, while having fun.  I
found the Leap Frog Alphapet (not this is not a misprint) Explorer.  The
bones with letters are big enough if you carefully cut out the braille
letters that they will fit on the dog bone buttons.  My favorite part of
this toy is that there is a game segment where the child pushes the letter
and the game says the letter and then the letter sound, so it teaches
phonics while providing a single switch, cause and effect lesson.  There is
also music and a letter search component.  It is a great teaching tool and
toy at the same time.  I know my son is going to love it because it
incorporates all the things that he likes:  music; single switch/button
cause and effect; and talks to him.

     I also found a pair of sturdy head phones made by Fisher Price that
automatically adjust the volume, so as not too hurt little ones developing
ears.

     If anyone has seen a great toy for visually impaired/blind children,
I'd love to hear about it.

Blessings and have a great Christmas Season.
Sue H.