[blindkid] cane use and travel in familiar areas

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Thu Oct 15 18:57:22 UTC 2009

Hi All,

     I know I am probably going to sound uneducated here, but I have a
question for those whose children use canes and mental mapping, okay, two
questions.  Here goes.

     My son learned to use his cane in his right hand.  He has done a
remarkable job of adapting to cane travel for a 3 year old.  He also does
extremely well with echo location and mental mapping.  Now the O & M
instructor (I might add that we got a new O & M instructor on the first day
of school.) wants him to switch cane hands.  He is right handed and the O &
M want him to use the cane in his left hand, so he can trail with his right
hand and then cane diagonally.  He is not really happy or cooperative with
this change.  Is this something others have had experience with?  Is this
something new?  Every picture I have seen of a child or an adult with a
cane, it has been in their right hand.  I get the reason that he should be
able to use both hands and walk on the right, but it seems a little bit like
trying to make a lefty learn right hand stuff, only in this case it is
making a right handed person into a lefty.  I also understand that the can
is an extension of your hand.

     Second issue.  My son is learning trailing in the classroom.  However,
he was headed straight for his cubby to get his coat and his aid interrupted
him to go back and trail.  I thought it was quite remarkable that he has a
mental map and knows where his coat is.  I should say that I am an advocate
of discovery learning techniques.

     Help, what am I missing?

Blessings,
Sue H.