[blindkid] IEP information for involved students

Carlton Anne Cook Walker carltonwalker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:16:14 UTC 2009

Eric,

I don't have the opportunity to look up a citation right now, but . . .

1 - I believe that the IDEA does require translation into parents' native
language and.or accessible format (such as braille)

2 - The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires reasonable
accommodations (such as accessible formats)

3 - The student IS a member of the IEP team, if appropriate (and your son
most definitely is appropriately involved)

Thus, no question -- YES, the IEP (and related reports upon which it is
based) should be provided in an accessible format.  I'd ask your son which
he prefers (hard copy braille, file for a refreshable braille display,
audio, etc.)  and direct him to make the request for documents in that
format to the school district (great opportunity for self-advocacy).

Hope all goes well, and feel free to contact me off-list for anything.

Take care,

Carlton

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker