[blindkid] Joli and her cane

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Oct 18 06:50:58 UTC 2009

Albert makes a number of good points. Unfortunately, the collapsible
cane introduces some potentially undesirable features. A telescoping
cane can telescope in without warning, especially if not properly and
fully extended (hard for some younger kids to master). The ones with
the shock cord inside that work like folding tent poles have their
vibro-tactile feedback dampened quite a bit. (The last thing I want to
do is reduce the amount of information my daughter gets from her
cane.) Further, all non-rigid canes have the added issue of both being
heavier and adding extra fumbling to get the canes out and to put them
away.

Some adults who travel a lot seem to prefer being able to stow a cane
in an overhead bin or to drop it into a bag or briefcase, but full
length canes are generally not that hard to accommodate. I'm pretty
certain we'll be keeping our daughter with the standard NFB cane
unless and until she herself requests otherwise at a later time. The
exceptions to that guideline strike me as being things like keeping a
backup cane in luggage for a trip or maybe using one to carry on a
bike or something like that where suddenly it does become impractical
to transport a full length cane and get where you're going with the
cane still in one piece.

I think it may have been Joe Cutter who first made me realize that
there is a message sent to a blind child with a folding cane-- (or an
adult for that matter). It says they need to make every effort to get
the cane out of others way. I come back to the wheel chair
discussion-- It might be handy for teachers, etc. if we put kids from
wheelchairs into a regular chair and got that big chair out of the way
at times, but it would hardly be appropriate.

I don't want my daughter to feel like she needs to apologize for
having or using a cane. All of her classrooms have made a point of
having a space for her to park her cane by the door, sometimes
sticking a small plastic hook up for her where she puts the loop as
NFB canes with the slick metal tip do love to slide down when you
stand them up on a smooth floor. A cane by a door takes up maybe one
or two square inches of floor space and plastic stick-up hook costs
less than a dollar so we are talking about some really simple and
inexpensive solutions here.

One other cane comment-- Kendra generally parks her cane when she
comes into a classroom because that works well for her. Once she knows
the room, it is easier for her to move about and do things without a
cane in hand. That doesn't mean she doesn't explore a new room without
a cane and it doesn't mean that I think all blind kids should always
park canes at the door. It is case by case, whatever works for the
cane traveler.

Richard