[blindkid] School cane O/M issues

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 18:09:10 UTC 2009

I have been blind all my life and until I joined the NFB, not that long ago
and I am old, I used a folding cane. I found that I did not give "getting my
cane out" the priority it needed. I found myself depending on others way
more than I do now. when Aubrie, my daughter was little, she was not taking
her cane with her as I thought she should. Not too long after I made the
decision to always have a straight cane, she became more willing to have her
cane with her. Other than closing the cane in the car door from time to
time, I can truly say that having a long NFB cane has given me freedom. It
is like what Joe cutter called it, "the third eye on the ground."
Fortunately, as an eighth grader, Aubrie is completely willing to take her
cane wherever  she goes and does not park it anywhere but the corner in our
house. I have an NFB telescoping cane that only comes out when one of us
breaks the cane we have. Looking back, I can remember my hand getting so
tired when I would use one of the heavy, folding, short things of the past.
Then, if I was going somewhere in a hurry, without fail, the thing would jab
me in the chest causing great pain. Wow, where would I be without the NFB.
Actually, Aubrie said to me not too long ago: "Mom, I'm so glad you joined
the NFB!"