[blindkid] School cane O/M Issues

Doreen doreenproverbs3 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 21 01:25:17 UTC 2009

Lauren
I am just as new to this as you. I am the other mom being denied O&M. At
the NFB convention in Detroit, Torrie and I did a "cane walk" -- it was
a 1-on-1 session with a certified O&M instructor. I got the lesson
because as you know, most times the parents don't get the lessons and we
are our kids' first teachers. We used what I thought was a side-to-side
technique. And it is "timed" if you will with your walking -- I seem to
remember your right leg is walking and cane is in front of left leg. For
now with Torrie only being 5, O&M said not to worry about the stepping,
just get her used to using the cane with side-to-side (or maybe it was
called the 2-touch method). We used it in and around the hotel and used
the same side-to-side when we went outside. We were totally blindfolded
so we could not "cheat" to see. Throughout the walk, we were asked to
listen and feel for ques to tell us where we are, what was around us,
etc. It was an awesome time! That at least gave me some info on what to
teach Torrie.

Any other parents, please correct me -- my old gray matter is pretty
gray at this point!

I don't even know what Torrie is going to be taught -- probably
something to totally confuse her. She has the side-to-side "down" -- she
can do it but definitely needs more instruction and a lot more practice.

I am following your threads with all eyes and ears! Our turn is coming
up shortly.
Thanks for all the help thru all these emails!
Doreen