[blindkid] New member

lindashalm at aol.com lindashalm at aol.com
Thu Oct 22 03:34:38 UTC 2009

Hello Lesley, I also have a child with LMBBS.  He had the ERG done at age 8, when we were searching for a diagnosis.  that test was pretty awful.  I would question the point of any more tests.  You have your diagnosis.  We still have eye exams about every 18 months to check for other problems.  I don't know if that checking is considered a "bright light test", but we have done what the doctors feel they need to do.

I know in traditional RP, the loss of vision is very individual.  With LMBBS diagnosis seems to come at an earlier age.    I can tell you that in our case there was substantial loss between age 8 and 13.   My son also has a heart condition and has to wear a holter monitor on occasion.  when he was 7 he could read the LCD time on the monitor strapped to his waist.  When he was 13 he held it up to his eyes and still couldn't read it.  That measured the loss to me like a slap in the face, but to him it was "oh, well...."

Are you familiar with the listserve for LMBBS?  There is a doctor Richard Lewis of Baylor University, who has been working for nearly 20 years on LMBBS.  He probably can advise you as to this question about the testing.  If you aren't familiar with the LMBBS listserve you can reach me off line at  lindashalm at aol.com  and I'll try to connect you.

by the way, my son is now 26 and in Minneapolis for training with BLIND, INC.

Linda, NJ