[blindkid] O/M School Cane issues

L W mama2sally at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 01:16:37 UTC 2009

Hi all
Thank you for your continued advice.  The latest is that Joli’s mobility teacher has just started teaching her the diagonal technique.  I asked Joli to show me how the O/M  has her using the cane.  It looks like she holds the cane in her right hand.  It is crossed in front of her left hip with the tip maintaining constant contact with the ground.  I asked her what happens if there was an obstacle on her other side, and she said she can switch hands.  This technique seems really awkward to me as it looks like she can’t completely clear the space ahead of her without switching hands, which is tricky if she carrying anything. Of course it would be rare for her to moving around her school with both of her hands free. I was wondering if the NFB has any thoughts on this diagonal technique.  Joli got her cane from the NFB and has been using the touch tap, step, tap, step technique they showed us at the NFB.  Her O/M teacher says that the NFB touch
 tap technique is only for outdoor use.  She didn’t even want Joli using her cane indoors until she had learned the diagonal technique.   So far we have an understanding that Joli can use the touch tap technique until she learns the diagonal technique.  I am not sure I want Joli using the diagonal technique and am wondering how the NFB feels about this technique.
I can anticipate that if I want this instructor to stop the diagonal technique and to instead teach & encourage the touch technique Joli has been learning, I going to have a fight on my hands. That is another reason why I am wondering if the NFB supports use of this diagonal technique.
Thanks for any advice,
Lauren Wibbe