[blindkid] Diagonal VS touch technique

dhammelia at aol.com dhammelia at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 14:19:20 UTC 2009

The best argument agaisnt the diagonal technique I have seen was by Joe Cutter.  He threw a back back on the floor used the diagonal technique and of course ran right into the back pack.  His argument is that you just might find a back pack or a box sitting in the hallway at a school.

The NFB and AFB have a differing approach.  The NFB wants blind people to be independant and adapt to the world as much as possible with minimum accomodations.  So that for an employer to hire a blind person they can do so with a few accomodations.  The AFB wants to force the world to adapt to make things easier for blind people.  So they want different size currencies so you can tell at a touch what denomination bill you have.  The NFB opposes this as the cost to benefit ratio is very high.  The AFB says that only some blind people need to read Braille.  http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm91/brlm9107.htm#2  The NFB position is that all blind should have the opportunity to learn Braille.

The other main point is the NFB thinks that blind people are the best source of information on what Blind people need to succeed.  The AFB thinks that trained professionals know best what should be done for the blind.