[blindkid] LRE~School Choice

Stacy Lemmon slemmonrn at spotlight-music.com
Fri Oct 30 19:17:29 UTC 2009

Thank you Richard your input was great. We have an IEP, have had one since EI.  Adison is dually enrolled at the Catholic School AND through the local Public School. We were required by the school district to do this in order to secure vision services. Per them, they "did not want to set a precedent" and all services, vision support and O&M were to be done at the public school. I take her there 2x weekly.  Our school lets out 1 1/2 hours prior to the public school.  We love our school, teacher, etc.The school district refuses to let the vision support even step foot on the Catholic school property. The Catholic school has been more than accommodative and welcoming to us...we are the first child with a disability that they supposedly have ever had...hard to believe, but anyways.  the current situation is that we are re-opening her IEP because of the crappy services we are receiving. Clearly she needs support in the classroom of the school she is attending.  It appears we have been forced to go public...Adison will be devestated with the transition.  She has been with most of these kids for almost 3 years. Not to mention she has been at the same school. However, up until 'the age of beginners' the vision teacher was in her preschool classroom.  We are going to try to insist on a smaller school in the district.

Keep the advice coming!!

Sue~where are you from?

Stacy