[blindkid] suggestions regarding Braille for a 3 year old preschooler

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Wed Sep 9 22:44:00 UTC 2009

HI,
   We are just starting our twins in Pre-K.  One is blind and the other has
CVI, which has about 60% resolved and is doing well accept for depth
perception.

     We have been using Braille books since our baby came home from the
hospital.  I learned Braille and have Brailled many of our favorites and
added many others whenever the opportunity presented itself.  My TVI help us
to build a library.   Now the same TVI says that it is too much to expect
from the school to have Braille print whenever regular print is presented in
school.  She says he has too much other stuff to learn.  She also says the
school staff isn't trained, so no Braille books in the classroom.  That was
her job.  We spent 9 months in multiple meetings, some 1:1 and others in
small groups both here at home and at school.  We have an independent child
psychologist that says this little boy is incredibly advanced for a child
with his vision and is doing remarkable well.  We think so, but we are the
parents.  I would surely like some feed back from others regarding this
issue.  I am frustrated!  This is the short version.

     Thanks for any feedback.

Blessings,
Sue H.