[blindkid] Help needed~Recess

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Sep 18 05:25:36 UTC 2009

Stacy, I'm curious-- how large is this school? You mentioned a school
nurse which makes me think this may be a fairly good sized place.

I cannot remember a church around here, even one with only "parent's
morning out" (or just Sunday School for that matter) which didn't have
at least a minimal playground. All I can imagine is maybe the physical
location prevents a playground?-- It seems that surely if they want to
have kids there, they'd already have a playground it it were possible,
no?....

I don't know so much about "demanding" things, especially in a private
school setting. If memory serves, at least in our state (Georgia), the
school system doesn't even have to offer services at all after age 5
in a private school setting, though they may choose to do so in some
cases and I seriously doubt these services will be offered by a
private school for less than a small fortune.

My most immediate hope would be that there is available space and
through perhaps a group of parents, steps could be taken to work for
the benefit of the school towards having a safe playground for all the
kids. That's the sort of goal that a group of parents (even a small
group) may be able to work towards with rather speedy success.

Long-term, I suspect you may find (as we did after a couple of years)
that the advantages of private school may ultimately be outweighed by
practical concerns and the vision-related resources available through
public schools.

Good luck,

Richard