[blindkid] FW: The Global Explorers Leading the Way Program

Olivero, Treva TEOlivero at nfb.org
Mon Sep 28 14:00:17 UTC 2009

 I was asked to forward this.

Announcing 2010 opportunities for B/VI students to explore the globe

A life-changing adventure awaits you. Here at Global Explorers, we are
passionate about providing the most comprehensive and genuine travel
experience available to students and educators of all backgrounds and
abilities. We are a non-profit organization committed to sustainable
tourism and responsible global citizenship.

Dan and Mary Ellen, parents of a 16-year-old blind participant, said:
"Morgayne had an absolutely wonderful time - beyond all of our
expectations.  We are absolutely thrilled about the experience she had
on this trip [2009 Rim to River, Grand Canyon].  It appears like she
grew more in two weeks than in two years."

We are excited to announce the opening of our 2010 Programs:

Rim to River Expedition: Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA

July 6-20, 2010 | Exact price TBD

In partnership with Grand Canyon Youth (www.gcyouth.org), this program
provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for students of all abilities
to explore the wonders of the Grand Canyon from its majestic rim to its
world-renowned river.

Yucatan Leadership Program, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico

July 10-18, 2010 | Exact price TBD

This team will explore leadership development as they venture through
the renowned ruins of the Maya Civilization, explore the colorful reefs
of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere, kayak along ancient Maya trade routes and
swim with the world's largest fish: the whale shark!

About Leading the Way

Developed in partnership with world-renowned blind adventurer Erik
Weihenmayer, Global Explorers' nationally-recognized Leading the Way
program is our only individual enrollment program. Individuals of all
physical abilities between the ages of 14 and 21 are welcome to apply.
Leading the Way integrates science, service, leadership, and culture,
resulting in a life-changing adventure. Far more than just a fun trip,
each expedition involves preparatory curriculum prior to travel and a
service leadership project post travel.

By making necessary accommodations and focusing on what participants can
do, the program prepares students to act on the passions they discover.
Through their unique stories, the teams help spread messages of hope and
inspiration, while breaking down barriers between those with and without
disabilities.

What Are You Waiting For?

Apply, nominate a student or learn more about current programs:

visit: www.GlobalExplorers.org (click Leading the Way)

email: LeadingTheWay at GlobalExplorers.org

call: 877-627-1425

Annual application deadline is November 15. Braille, screen reader
friendly and large print materials are available upon request.

Shannon Smiley
Leading the Way Fellow

Global Explorers
420 S. Howes St. Suite B300