[blindkid] Community track

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Fri Apr 9 17:44:12 UTC 2010

Dear Carly,
Firstly, I encourage you to be thankful for the commissioner. She is
teaching you early on in your child's life that he will face ignorance
and fear-based discrimination as he chooses to take part in life in
the community. You will need to learn how to deal with this and teach
him what you learn so that he can advocate for himself as soon as
possible and into his adult life. You shouldn't be shocked, indeed you
should generally expect that you will encounter this kind of reaction.
As the NFB explanation says, blindness is not the problem; it's the
misconceptions and lack of understanding about blindness that cause
problems. We have no evidence to suggest that this will change in the
near future, so better to accept it and learn to deal with it in a
positive way for all concerned.

Secondly, as this track organisation is, in fact, an organisation you
should expect that there are policies and you should show good will by
enquiring about them and complying. If there is a formal request
policy then you should follow it. This is very much to your, and your
child's advantage, because it will be very clear to all as to exactly
what you are and are not requesting. If you aren't asking for special
accommodations then that is what you can write on the form. I would
fill in and submit the form as soon as possible. I would also
completely ignore the drivel from the commissioner. If there is a
board and there are policies, and you aren't asking for special
accommodations then I don't see that there will be any problems
arising from what she might say. The fact that this treatment of you
and your child has happened is annoying but, sadly, fairly normal. It
is your job to respond positively and firmly. You may wish to attach a
cover letter to your form which says something like the following:

Dear board members,
Thank you for being so organised with your policies for children with
disabilities. I have attached a request form detailing what my child
does and does not need. You will be pleased to read that he needs only
minimal accommodations in the form of------.

I was also please to speak with your Commissioner On Special Needs and
as she told me she has never worked with and has had absolutely no
experience with blind children, I enjoyed the opportunity to converse
with someone used to accommodating children with special needs and
educate her about the needs unique to blind children.

When I spoke with one of the coaches who will be working with my child
I was also very impressed with the calibre of your volunteers and I
know that my child will have a very positive time learning to be part
of a sporting team. Spending the first five years of his life in an
orphanage has severely limited my child's life experiences and this is
a wonderful opportunity for him to learn how to have fun with other
children, make friends and be successful as he tries new things. When
he is finally ready to formally compete in a year or two I know it
will be as a result of the kind teaching and support he receives from
(name organisation). I look forward to being part of this wonderful
organisation.

Yours sincerely,

Carly

If you write such a letter, you are very diplomatically describing the
situation to the board, laying out your request, your expectations and
clearly showing them that you - the obvious expert on blind children
because you have one - know far more about the needs of blind children
than their commissioner who has, with her own mouth, told everyone
that she hasn't worked with blind children before. The board will get
the message as to who should be trusted regarding the danger, or lack
thereof, for your blind child and other children on the team. Take the
opportunity when conversing with members of the board to complement
them on how well they meet ADA requirements. This will communicate to
them in a very diplomatic manner that you know your child's rights.

In over 40 years of advocating for myself as a blind person, I have
found that this is the best initial approach to take. Most of the time
you are educating people and dispeling their inaccurate stereotypes
and wrong thinking. You gain nothing by being confrontational and
threatening and putting them on the defensive. People will defend
themselves if you threaten them; it is instinct and it often has
little to do with what is right of fair. You can always go to the next
level if you need to. However, Brian will be far better off if you
make these people your friends. Resentful, unhappy people can make his
time with the team much less valuable.

Incidentally, I would work on desensitising him to the sound of the
gun. This is very doable and will make a big difference for him in
track. Please let us know how it all works out.

Warmest regards,

Heather Field