[blindkid] Math technology

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Apr 10 14:55:00 UTC 2010

The key is to get the adaptive person who probably knows the computer
technology of the embosser and the calculator, together with the math
teacher who knows how graphs and the mathematical component works, as
neither will be able to help your child on their own.  But geekese is pretty
similar in dialect between math geeks and computer geeks, so they should be
able to figure it out.  And, yes, graphs and some type of graphing
calculator will be extremely neccessary, not "if it is absolutely
neccessary".  Tracing tools are alright, but there must be graph paper
behind the tracing, as a general shape of the graph will not be helpful, if
the child needs to assertain which exact point the vertix of the perabola
passes through, or whether or not the sine curve is passing through the
origin or not.  I hope this helps.  Oh, and as to affording it.  If the
school fights it, remind them that A. she needs it, really and truly needs
it, B. they can store it carefully and use it for other blind and VI kids
coming up in the grades below her and in other schools in the district and
C. they are by law required to provide her equal opertunities in education
in the least restrictive environment, which includes adapting the graphs and
graphing technology for any level of math course that she is cognatively and
accademically ready for and that is offered by the school.