[blindkid] Working on our technique!

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:41:04 UTC 2010

That is the tip I'm talking about, not sure what the official name for it
is.

Hank does have a one piece carbon fiber NFB cane as well, that was actually
his first cane.  We started experimenting with folding/collapsible canes
after spending the first half of HS football season (older son in marching
band) retrieving said non-folding cane when it kept falling through the
bleachers LOL!

Right now we let him choose which cane he wants to take when we go out. He's
still a bit resentful about needing a cane, we've found it helps his
attitude when he has some control over the matter by picking from his cane
"wardrobe".  If we are going on really rough terrain, like a walk in the
woods, I remind him the straight cane won't collapse on him.  If he chooses
the telescoping anyway and starts to grumble when it does indeed collapse, I
remind him that it was his choice.

For him, the tactile/sound differences between different canes aren't as
crucial as it may be to others because he does have enough vision to see the
big picture around him. He won't run into a wall or furniture, he can see
where a doorway is.  What trips him up is poor depth perception and the
inability to see what's going on down by his feet, ie..is that a curb or a
painted stripe?  Is that an open doorway or a glass door? We've found any of
the cane types give him the information he needs to be safe so we're happy
to let him take control when it's appropriate.

It just popped into my mind that we are right around his first year
"cane-versery" He has yet to receive any formal O&M training but it was just
about this time last year that we met Carol who gave us a demonstration and
lent us a cane until we could buy our own.  It's been a lot of trial &
error, a whole lot of grumbling but the difference in his confidence level
with a cane vs without one is amazing, even without official training.

I love the NFB (big huge smile)

Holly