[blindkid] Toys off the shelf

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Tue Apr 13 23:47:15 UTC 2010

I use a lot of the Leap Frog, interlocking blocks of all sizes, puzzles that
have well defined shapes (especially the ones that have the same shape
holes), magnetic letters with Braille letters on them, Play Dough, toy cell
phones that talk are a favorite, Little Tykes Kitchen set (it has a
microwave and a burner that make realistic sounds), Dishes,  My Dishpan is a
Favorite (He will stand for literally hours and play in the kitchen sink.
It is a good place to learn dump and fill skills.).  This list is as long as
your or your child's imagination.  One of the good things about the twins,
is that with one who can see, although has CVI and the other is totally
blind, I buy all sorts of toys and they both play with all of them.  A
favorite toy that costs a dollar that Vinnie loves is the microphone that
echos.  He has found more uses for that than his sighted brother.  Toys need
not be expensive and you can put your own Braille labels on them to increase
the learning value.  I can thank my friend in Texas for that piece of
advice!  We string beads, play with cars and trucks, and pots and pans.  The
difference is in how they are played with.  They are learning what they need
as well.  Have fun playing!
Blessings,
Sue H.