[blindkid] CBS story on decline in braille

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 16:26:00 UTC 2010

Thanks everyone!
There are some things I had hoped would make it on air that didn't but
that's the way the editing ball bounces :smile

Carolyn, that was a mistake. I'm going to post a comment on their website
when I think of how to word it.  Hank has Albinism which is genetic, not a
disease.  His vision has been what it is since birth and barring something
out of the ordinary, it should remain as is.  Our position is his current
eye sight is poor enough to make braille appropriate and necessary.  He does
meet the criteria for legally blind and he has Nystagmus and photophobia on
top of that which adds to fatigue. Being able to see large print is not the
same as being able to read it for sustained lengths of time.

Neither the school nor NJCBVI have responded but to be fair, it just aired
yesterday.  We have been at this for 2 years though, they are already well
aware of my thoughts on the situation LOL!  We have had an attorney involved
for a little over a year now.  My attorney doesn't like me to put too many
details on the internet but we've had some developments in the last few
weeks that hopefully will give us some traction.

Holly