[blindkid] Resistence

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 20 01:24:18 UTC 2010

His fingers could be sensitive to the braille in particular, that's
true, but some kids are "tactually defensive" (I never cared for the
term) or otherwise opposed to touching various textures. I think in
many cases, it is a matter of getting accustomed to the particular
textures and sensations. Does he always react to braille like that on
only in particular locations or situations?

If you can see something before you touch it, there's a better chance
you'll properly anticipate the sensation you're about to have. Without
some cue, some things must be really surprising to encounter,
especially for a young child with limited environmental experiences to
draw upon. A chief example for us was toys (or anything) that
vibrated. You're holding smooth plastic or soft fabric, then all at
once, it is giving you totally different sensations from a moment
earlier. Later on, some of the exact same vibrating toys were funny.

I would guess there's a pretty good chance that encountering braille
in many places over time may improve his reaction to it.