[blindkid] braille qwerty usb keyboard needed

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 20 03:54:32 UTC 2010

You're no doubt right-- It may take longer, but then again, if she
drags her feet in qwerty land and just uses a (perkins style)
braillenote or pacmate (she switches back and forth but mostly uses a
braillenote) we're making zero progress on the qwerty stuff, so to me
I'm looking at slow progress compared to almost no progress. That's
what has me kicking around ideas.

It isn't like this is time critical anyhow-- in her case, she's stays
on (and often well above) grade level (and remember, this is a second
grade student, not a high school kid or such). She just is resistant
to qwerty keyboards. How different are any of us from that sort of
thing? I'm a Macintosh user. I love them. I've been using them for
over 20 years. To me PC's are a necessary evil at times, but in
general, I avoid them for my own uses whenever I can. I'm good at what
I do and I am FAR more proficient at my work on a Mac, so what am I
likely to use when I can?...

My Macs do for me what Kendra's Braillenote does for her. Can I work
on a PC? Sure, but by comparison it is slow and tedious. Keystrokes an
command shortcuts on a Mac are (to me) absolutely mindless reflexes.
So what exactly is my motivation to get better with PC's? So it is
with Kendra. Most of her needs are well met by her Braillenote and she
finds the qwerty thing to be a hassle. My hope is to make her a little
more confident that she really is on the right keys so she'll go ahead
and press them, then as her needs and computer desires grow, she'll
naturally ease into this.

This is much more typical of Kendra than my other children and I think
it has little to do with vision issues-- it is just her. She'd prefer
not to participate, answer, etc., than to risk even a small chance of
answering incorrectly, or in this case, typing the wrong key. (I also
think she's much more likely to explore this when she knows she's not
being watched.)

For now, it looks like a fairly moot discussion anyhow unless I lower
what I seek and either use stickers or at best adapt a PS2 keyboard to
USB. I hate to start off with a cruddy adapted solution with a PS2
keyboard, so hopefully those guys will come up with a better choice.
Again, no giant rush so I think I'll wait and shop for a while. Maybe
Kendra will jump in on her own soon and none of this will matter for
her...

I'm one of those people who can cruise along typing quite quickly
unless I think about what I'm doing then suddenly I'm missing
keystrokes and having to back up and look down at the keys and all.
(Curious how that works.) Still I manage to churn out a lot of type
when I need to so I'm not always concerned about following perfect
"textbook procedure" in the first place....

Richard