[blindkid] braille keyboards and such

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 20 20:34:36 UTC 2010

I recently posted a question asking if anyone knew where I could buy a
USB QWERTY keyboard with factory-made braille key caps. One person had
a suggestion (thanks, Laura). Several others expressed concerns over
using braille on keyboards even as a learning tool. Okay, well I
wasn't really asking what everyone thought of my idea, I was just
trying to see where I could buy what I wanted, but I do appreciate
people wanting to help.

Here is my real concern though: Time and again on this list, I see
people who I know are trying to help others respond so harshly that
the person posting the question is likely to feel foolish at best or
in the worst case more or less attacked. I have talked with enough
other NOPBC members in-person at national conventions about this to
learn that many parents (and I assume others) who subscribe and read
posts here actually refrain from posting questions or comments
specifically because they don't want to find themselves in a position
of feeling embarrassed, attacked, or at times, even baited into an
argument over matters intended to help our kids.

I've got a fairly thick skin. I know what I want to do in this case
and I was looking for the equipment to try out my idea. Interestingly,
I have yet to discover any evidence of how blind touch typists
actually function on a braille capped keyboard (not one with stickers,
real key caps) to learn if there really is much of an effect on them
once they really can touch type, though my original intent was just to
have this as an option to try out and see if it helps her initially
learn the key locations-- just that simple.

This is another case where it seems really likely that a number of
[fairly harsh] comments offered are based purely on speculation-- Yes,
some have had bad experiences with stickers on key caps and with kids
who are distracted by the braille. I get that, but nobody seems to
even know where to get the keyboards I'm looking for, so how have you
actually tried them out? And in particular, how have you tried them
with a young child trying to learn key positions? If my child gets too
distracted, I can plug in a different keyboard in a matter of
seconds-- this is not a permanent  decision, it is a computer
keyboard... Still, quite a few people seem to feel strongly that the
actual keyboards which I think they have never seen or touched are a
terrible idea. Curious indeed.

As to typing tutors (which were suggested by at least a couple of
people), yes, we've tried them. We had one she loved for a short while
about two years ago. Now she wants nothing to do with it (or any
similar program). I suspect that part of the issue is actually all of
the praise from the programs. Kendra does not wish to hear she did a
good job on much of anything and is fairly likely to say or indeed
argue that she did NOT if told that to excess, so we try to avoid any
large amount of praise.

Thanks again for everyone's efforts & suggestions, but can we just try
and react a bit more gently on this list when we are not in total
agreement with ideas we run across in the future? If harsh comments
run off even one parent who may have had a chance to benefit here or
to share and help others with their own experiences, I think that
would be a real tragedy.

Richard