[blindkid] Music Sight Reading for Competition

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:11:00 UTC 2010

Yes, Aubrie is allowed to look at the music as she sight singing for the
very reason that you mentioned , the other students look at music. As far as
sight reading in the regular class, while she was in junior high, the
teacher would give everyone their new music, including Aubrie. Then, he
would have everyone read through it as they, clapped, I think, the measures.
Then, I'm thinking, he would have them play and Aubrie would just wing it
the first time, having gone through it by reading with one hand and tapping
out the rhythm with the other. I think that just doing that would give her
an idea of a good part of the peaces so that when she played it with the
class for the first time, she would have a little notion of what was being
played. It is also possible that he would give her as much of the music as
he could as it was transcribed so that perhaps she got some of it earlier
than the others. Not sure because they seemed to have a really good system
worked out and that is the one class that she almost never complained about.
Totally her favorite and I loved that teacher. Of course, I'm guessing that
for all band teachers, having students sight read is something they try to
do more and more. If Aubrie has her music, though she might play the first
couple time or so, she could read and learn, or at least hum, the flute
part. For the time being, I think she would be able to get the part down
fairly quickly. Things will naturally get a bit harder as time goes on. I
know that Kira (spelling?) is a bit farther ahead. How has she worked this
situation?

Bonnie