[blindkid] Do blind kids need personal aides in school?

Barbara.Mathews at sce.com Barbara.Mathews at sce.com
Mon Aug 30 02:39:54 UTC 2010

Hi Arielle,

I think an aide is fine, and can be helpful, if the purpose is to assist the TEACHER, by making sure materials and lessons are adapted -- for example, locating braille books or arranging for books to be brailled, creating a hands-on version of an activity, etc.  With my daughter, we always insisted that the aide could help other students, too. Ideally, the aide does not appear to be the blind student's aide, but a classroom aide. As a practical matter, some teachers have a better attitude about having a blind student in the class if the teacher has this kind of assistance.  However, parents have to monitor the situation (ie, find reasons to visit or volunteer in the classroom if possible) to make sure the plan  is being followed, and not hesitate to speak up if it isn't.

-Barbara