[blindkid] teaching time

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 03:08:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

A couple of ideas...
    * How does your son do with other math concepts?  It sounds as if
they are working on fractions and percent--does your son have the
more basic understandings and calculating ability that would enable
him to do this more complex work?
    * If not, I would work on the basics first.
    * If he does know the basics, then maybe you could get ahold of a
workbook meant for younger kids that deals with teaching time
concepts and use that as a guide.
    * And DEFINITELY get some fraction circles that he can use in his
hands to show all the relationships among the pieces (Laurie puzzles
used to have a great fraction kit--don't know if they do any more).
    * Get a learning clock from an educational toy or a teacher
store/website and adapt it with braille numbers and Wikki Stix minute
and hour marks.  As you and your son move the hands of the clock from
12 o'clock to 12:15, say, show him the relationship of the shape that
the hands form to the quarter circle from the fraction kit.  With all
this hands on, hopefully your son will begin to see these relationships.
Hope this helps!

Carol

Carol Castellano
973-377-0976