[blindkid] teaching time

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Mon Dec 6 15:57:51 UTC 2010

Hi.

I think what Carol said is right.  If you can help her understand
fractions, you will be on the right track.

You mentioned that you told her that 45 minutes would be entered as 75
minutes.  That could be what is confusing her.  A minute is 1/60th of
an hour, but what she is entering is 1/100th of an hour.  If you can
help her to understand the difference between an hour divided into
minutes as opposed to an hour written as a decimal, it should help.

Does she only need to work with 15 minute intervals, or is it more
granular than that?  If the former, then perhaps she could just
memorize the conversions.  45 minutes = .75, 30 = .5, ETC.

If, on the other hand, she needs a deeper understanding, I would help
her learn that minutes and decimal hours are simply different ways to
write the same fraction.  In the case of minutes, it's over 60,
whereas with decimals, it's over 100.

Written out like this, it probably sounds more complicated than it is.
 I'm sure she'll get it with a little practice.  Just try and help her
see that the only difference between minutes of an hour, verses the
decimal part of an hour is that with the decimal hour, you are
breaking the hour into smaller parts, so you need more of them to
equal the same amount of time.

Good luck.

Aaron