[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 80, Issue 10

Leslie Ligon atfirstsight at ligondesign.com
Sun Dec 12 18:35:34 UTC 2010

Hi, Eliza,

I agree with Doreen and Carol, actually. The red does tell sighted
people to watch out for the cane user because she can't see
completely/at all. On the other hand, though I haven't yet used one
under blindfold myself, I have heard from many people that the metal tip
gives great tactile feedback through the shaft of the cane, so your
daughter will need all of that she can get!

As for the walker or any other type of makeshift pre/additional cane
doohicky - what the...?! Why bother with that, when she's moving
independently already, and using a proper cane, to boot? Our son, now 13
1/2, used one of the t-canes, but knowing what I know now, from his
life, as well as my own experiences under blindfold, I would rarely if
ever, recommend a sort of prosthetic cane for a youngster.

She'll do fine with a cane, just remind her to use it like a big girl
(i.e., not waving it, or lifting it high in the air) and let her use it
as often as is possible despite her age. (I wouldn't have let Ethan go
in parking lots, etc. without holding my hand with his other one because
I'm just like that as a mom. I don't think that'll kill him in his adult
life, either. Okay, well, I hope not!)

I'm not as familiar with the other types of therapy your daughter might
need to have set up in school. I would though, find out from this list
if there's an NFB advocate or some other kind of knowledgeable family
advocate to sit in on your first pre-enrollment IEP. If your daughter is
otherwise on track, I'm not sure what other therapy she would need.

Best wishes,
Leslie

At First Sight...
The Original Braille Fashion Jewelry You'll Fall in Love With!
http://www.BrailleJewelry.blogspot.com
214-675-4061

Beautifully designed Braille/print books for young readers:
http://www.BrailleInk.org