[blindkid] Adoption from China

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Feb 10 16:40:13 UTC 2010

I have always been interested in how one might go about adopting a blind or
VI child from another country, but doing so and being sure that the child is
blind only, without mental retardation could be difficult, especially if the
child is quite young, has been abused or neglected, or if the agency lies to
move the child out of the program.  In your opinion and experience, are
there opertunities out there, perhaps with the agency you mentioned, to
adopt blind children, for whom blindness is their only disability, or where
the system will be up front about the number, type and degree of special
needs?  Adopting is a wonderful thing to do, and I, as a blind parent, of a
blind mother and sighted father, feel that I could offer something special
to a blind child in need of a family, some time in the future.  Thoughts??