[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 18 05:52:51 UTC 2010

I'm pretty techno-liberal, but I agree with Mike.
That being said, one of my younger son's favorite "toys" was a Perkins -> at
2 or 3 he would sit on the floor & intensely "type" on the keys with the
same fervor & rhythm as my wife & older son as they brailled away at the
kitchen table. In retrospect, I do wish someone like Mike would have
suggested scribbling on a Slate & Stylus however.
My older son started on the BrailleNote in first grade, the younger one in
kindergarten.
They each enjoyed "scribbling" with JAWS on the computer in preschool.
There are many great alphabet toys, some that are toy laptops with a QWERTY
keyboard layout - you just add the braille label letters & they become
readily accessible and are completely age appropriate. They teach letters &
phonics & easier words in a very age-appropriate manner.
Eric V