[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Feb 18 15:27:39 UTC 2010

>   I am also not a big fan of the school of thought that an abacus is
> a good way to teach blind kids some beginning math concepts.  That
> is bologni.  An abacus is a good way to teach all kids math concepts.

I'm not quite certain I follow this point-- an abacus is an excellent
tool to teach blind kids certain math concepts from basic to advanced
and an excellent substitution (when appropriately added to IEP's) for
scratch paper and pencil in testing, especially certain kinds of
standardized testing. I know this because my daughter has been using
one effectively and efficiently since about age three; it works for
her and she is blind, so it is clearly a workable solution at least in
some cases. I find it to be an excellent bridge between manipulatives
and abstract math concepts.

Sometimes BrailleNotes (and the like) are not allowed for testing
because auto calculations cannot be properly disabled, at least not
beyond being potentially re-enabled by a student and giving the blind
student a possible "unfair advantage" in testing. In effect, an
unscrupulous student could "sneak" a calculator into a testing
situation that way. An abacus can't be used for auto-anything and
there can be no question about that in a testing situation. It also
(like the slate & stylus) works all the time-- no lock-ups, no dead
batteries.

Were you suggesting that an abacus is not only good for blind kids but
is potentially a good tool for sighted students as well? Again, a big
feature that makes it more appropriate for blind kids is that while
sighted kids can use a paper and pencil in a testing situation, that
is not an option for blind kids, but if you would have all kids be
given an abacus at testing time I doubt you'd find many people against
that option; I certainly approve.