[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 02:15:04 UTC 2010

Wo, hold up.  A.  I am deffinitly strong minded, but I wouldn't say
disrespectful.  I hate that emotion and expression cannot be easily conveyed
online.  Anything I say, I say, erm, not in gest, how to put it, with an
aimiable expression on my face, with a veahament but not nasty tone in my
voice.  If I wanted to be disrespectful, which I do not, I could easily go
around spouting "Your opinions are sh--, and you are f-----g stupid" calling
names and being horrible and childish.  I don't call names, but I do totally
rib people.  I admit it freely, but I do the same things in person in
everything from my classes in college to professional conventions and
forums, and no one seems to get this offended, so some of it must really be
the electronic barrier.  B.  The origional post that really pushed my, let's
get debating and discussing button was a post with only the words "Braille
slate" or "Slate and styalis" in it.  This bothered me as a mother of a
blind child a blind toddler, and an early childhood educator, because when
asked what technologies a four year old should have to keep up with their
peers, the first things should be adapted games that they can play with
their blind and sighted friends, toys that will encourage their
imaginations, and educational toys that premote early math and early
literacy skills, and to just toss out a one word response that is a cold
fully adult product, with no thought to psychosocial, or social-emotional
development really concerned me.  I never, ever, ever said "Slates have no
value whatsoever, keep them far away from all children everywhere."  I
questioned their importance and workability when compared with other tools
that premote literacy, I questioned at what age a child would be cognatively
and physically ready to use one, and I expressed the great importance of so
many other benificial, and not always strictly educational technologies in a
young child's life.  and C.  Um, I am blind, totally blind, have a slate,
hate it, but can use it and would not refuse to teach it to my son, simply
because as a visual learner and big fan of instant gratification
*impatiently sneeks a finger under the edge of the slate to try and see what
is coming out on the back of the paper, and gets pinched* I am not a big fan
of the slate.