[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Feb 19 04:42:30 UTC 2010

I feel like I stirred up a hornet's nest a bit. First, I must have
misspoken somewhere, no doubt typing and doing three other things at
once; my apologies-- Kendra had some letter reversal issues but she is
past them now and that was with braille reading; quite common at least
with young kids.

The issue with her slate & stylus is apparently one of fine motor
control, so we have decided not to focus on that heavily until she can
better control the tool on the advice of her TVI. I don't have a
problem with that. In fact she does fine with the finger slate; no
reversal issues at all. As with so many things, sometimes we have to
adjust the schedule and order of things based on the needs and
readiness of each child.

I have mentioned several times that I agree slate and stylus are
important but I really don't think her education needs to be centered
around being record-setting fast with a slate and stylus. That is the
main point I would like to make.

One cannot focus on being the absolute best and fastest at everything.
I continue to think it makes sense to generally focus on the mastery
of skills with which one is ready to proceed and which offer
reasonable "bang for the buck", so to speak. I don't see a lot of
"bang" for my child from pushing hard on the slate right now, and I
see no downside from her being very quick with both a Perkins and a
BrailleNote / PAC Mate. If she were busy putting everything into the
slate, she'd no doubt be somewhat better at it now, but at what cost?
She's a first grader working generally around a fourth grade level
with her braille work, just not while using a slate. I see FAR more
value in that than in getting over-focused on slate and stylus.

As she becomes more proficient with her slate, we can begin to decide
what she should use when, just as she has already moved to much
heavier use of a PAC Mate and BrailleNote this year while she was
using a Perkins a lot from ages 3 through 5. She only started doing
much at all with a BrailleNote in the last year (kindergarten). Still,
I doubt more than a small part of her work is going to be done on a
slate, though we will likely bow to the wisdom of her outstanding TVI
in that area. In five years, she has yet to steer us wrong...

Richard