[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 13:30:00 UTC 2010

The. Cells. Are backwards.  No, they are not backwards in the context of the
sentence, because the writing is also reversed, but when making the cells on
the slate, they are backwards.  An L is dots 1,2,3 and if you are to think
of the dots on the slate as being the ordinary way, and I am not saying that
is the correct way to go about it, but if you did, for the sake of
arguement, then L would be dots 4,5,6, which is backwards.  So, the cells
are forwards in the context of the sentence, but the sentence is backwards,
and so the cells are backwards in the context of the child's prior
experience and personal context.  If we look at Lev Vidgotski's zone of
proximal development, what the child has from early exposure in braille
books is contrary to the experience of how to braille on a slate.  Does that
mean it should never be taught?  That it can never be mastered or
understood?  Of course not, but saying that it is not backwards is a bit
confusing and convoluted to a small child.  What I think, from an early
childhood educator's perspective, might be helpful is to show the child who
understands basic words of at least three letters how writing the braille
writer way, left to right and forwards on a slate yields backwards writing,
then help them problem solve to find out how to make it look right on the
back of the paper.  Let them experement with writing backwards letters left
to right, forwards letters right to left, backwards letters right to left,
and keep having them compare and contrast until they get the orientation of
the paper and the letters.  If you just say "Just do it this way because I
say so" they are likely to get angry and frustrated at the difficulty, but
if you help them be a part of the proccess and the solution, they are more
likely to embrace the new activity.  Imagine if you at four or five were
suddenly told "Ok, you are just beginning to master which way letters go and
how they look and now I want you to write them one way on this machine and
the completely reversed way on this machine."  "Why?"  "Because that makes
it look right and I said so, end of story."  I remember in first grade being
so frustrated.  I would make a few letters then open the slate, take out the
paper and investigate it.  I wanted to try doing it the "right" way to see
why that didn't work.  I wanted to have explanations and to play a bit, but
I was told to "Put the paper back in and do your work."  For very young
children, having to keep their place, with out being able to see the letters
being created is also a difficult skill to master when it is first
introduced.  Perhaps place holding activities in lines of letters and
numbers would be helpful, or practicing writing on a brailler or reading a
book and being mindful of their position in a word without having to look
back.  Think how upsetting it would be to learn that those cute things that
meow are "cats" and you are so proud that you can write cats, but being only
four or five, while you are trying to remember how the c and the a sound and
look, and how they sound and look together, then add a t into the mix, and
while you are trying to think about how the letters look, you are also
remembering to write right to left, make sure the letters are correctly
oriented for that dirrection, while trying to sound out the word to make
sure you don't miss any letters, and then you add in the math of trying to
remember which cell you are in because you can't feel what is coming out on
the paper?  God, if I were four I would burst into tears over all of that.,
Let them master phonix first, or basic math first, or just recognizing and
producing left to right, forward facing letters first.