[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 15:19:54 UTC 2010

I wish people would stop saying that I said it should never be taught to a
blind child.  I must have written over a dozen posts saying that exposing
young children to the brailler, slate, computer, not to mention tons of
adapted and non-adapted toys is a good thing to do.  And reversal is a good
word to use, it is true.  The line is reversed.  It is the reverse of a left
to right line, no one can dispute that with out lying.  We have gone back
and forth about the cells not being reversed, and it is true, in the context
of the line they are not reversed, because the whole line is reversed.  Like
when you multiply two negative numbers together, you get a positive.
Reverse the line, and the letters are reversed.  And before that gets out of
hand, I am not saying the slate is negative, I am using the negative sign in
mathematics as an example.  Positive number, times a negative becomes
negative, forwards letter, by reversed line equals reversed letters in the
context of the brailler produced page.  And "Win?"  I am not trying to win
anything.  This is a debate, a discussion, not an arguement or a fight, or a
contest even.  The goal is for me to listen to you and evaluate your
statements and incoorperate them into my life experience and for you to
listen to me and incoorperate my statements into your life experience.
Another note before I get  my self into trouble.  By incorperate I mean
agree, disagree, agree with some and disagree with others, etc, then add
that to the running list of information we use to proccess our world.  I am
not saying that I must agree with every thing you say or that you must agree
with everything I say.  As I have stated other places, the one sentence
response of a slate, and nothing else for four year old technologies to help
them keep up with their peers is what concerned me, not the use of the slate
at all.