[blindkid] Mandy Sue Day

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 18:37:03 UTC 2010

I presented this book to my group and we have decided to use it along with activities to guess what things are by their scent, feel, taste and sound, with different mystery sets of 25 items each for each of the four senses, as well as a section on color, to be comprehensive and address all five senses.  We are also including in our kit a science component on different breeds of horses, a literature component where the students, preschoolers will be describing an object only with sensoory description, and the other students will have to figure out what they are describing.  This will be put into a class poetry book.  We will also be labeling the entire print book in clear tape with braille in grade one if it will fit, grade two if not, as well as selecting a series of vocabulary words that we will be providing cards with dirrections for their sign language equivolents, as well as cards with the French, German, Italian and Spanish translations.  We will also include a resource guide for local people who are willing to supplement the kit by coming in and giving presentations on white canes, guide dogs, braille, competition hourseback riding, etc.  Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.  Several people suggested this book in particular and it turned out to be an excellent fit for what we are doing.  We are also thinking of a game in which different kids will put in ear plugs, put on dark glasses, or not be able to talk, and they will be put into groups of three, with one each of the three simulated disabilities of deafness, blindness and muteness, and given a task to perform working together.  Thanks again for all of the help, this is going to be a fun project.